Suwalki Mezuzah by Mi Polin

Item
33896
Price $300.00
Members $270.00
This mezuzah is part of a series from Mi Polin titled "Mezuzah from this house." Before World War II, Poland had 3.5 million Jewish inhabitants as well a few million mezuzot. Almost all of the Jews and their mezuzot perished during the war, with only traces and empty holes remaining today in the place of mezuzahs. "Mezuzah from this house" is a bronze cast of what is left behind and commemorates the Jewish lives of pre-war Poland. Each mezuzah has an engraved letter Shin and the address where the trace was found on the side. After sitting untouched for many years, these mezuzot can now fulfill their holy function again.
 
The story behind this mezuzah:
During the interwar period between 1918-1939, today's Konopnicka Street was called Rynkowa Street and Bakinowskiego Street. Rafal Lejb Raczewski owned and lived in the building on the street at Number 14. Rafal Lejb was born in Suwalki where his parents, Lejer Raczewski and Rywka Garbarska, lived for many years. In 1899 he married Jacha Chludniewicz. The last piece of information we have about Rafal Lejb comes from 1927 when he paid a fee to the Jewish Community in Suwalki.
In one of the ground floor commercial spaces at 14 Bakinowskiego St. there was a workshop of a bootmaker that made uppers named Minster.
 
To see how the Mi Polin team discovers mezuzah traces throughout Poland, watch this video clip.
 
Kosher mezuzah scroll sold separately.
 
Cast bronze
4 1/4" x 1 1/8"
 
 

You Might Also Like

Recently Viewed
No recently views items
Clear All
Copyright © 2020-present Magento, Inc. All rights reserved.