Every purchase supports The Jewish Museum!


Share this product with a friend


Numbered limited edition of 200
 
This Hanukkah lamp is a replica of a work by master silversmith Joahnn Adam Boller from the early 18th century. The original, in the permanent collection of The Jewish Museum, is among the earliest known examples of the menorah form that was created for home use. These domestic versions were first made in Frankfurt, Germany in the late 17th century.
 
The decoration on the arms conforms to the Biblical description of the seven-branch menorah made for the Tabernacle in the Wilderness: “three cups made like almond blossoms, in one branch, a knob and a flower” (Exodus 25:31-40). Various animals, including a stag, a squirrel and a camel, decorate the lid for the oil containers, while at the top stands the Biblical heroine Judith. The Book of Judith recounts how she saved her town in ancient Israel when it was under siege by the Assyrian General Holofernes. Pretending to be interested in a romantic liaison with Holofernes, Judith waited until he had passed out from too much liquor and then cut off his head. During the medieval period, Judith came to be associated with the Maccabees, important figures in the story of Hanukkah. Each menorah comes in a sturdy wooden storage box. For use with oil only. Handmade in the USA.
 
Sterling silver
17" x 15-3/8" x 8-11/16"


Art Culture and Shop
Proceeds from the sale of merchandise on our website or in our stores support the mission of The Jewish Museum.
Order by Phone: 212.423.3333
The Jewish Museum, 1109 Fifth Avenue at 92nd Street, New York, New York 10128
©2013 The Jewish Museum

Site Powered By UniteU E-commerce