Adaptation of a Karl Hagenauer lamp, Vienna, Austria, 1919-1928
Karl Hagenauer designed the original lamp, which is in The Jewish Museum's permanent collection, between 1919 and 1928. This Hanukkah lamp's intricately curving floral design and fluted base exemplifies the aesthetic of the Weiner Werkstatte period, one of the early Modernist movements. Hagenauer studied with modernist pioneer Josef Hoffman at the Vienna School of Arts and Crafts. He became a designer and manager at the Werkstatte Hagenauer, an important producer of Viennese metallic arts begun by his father, Carl.
The original lamp was cast in copper alloy, known as Vienna bronze or brass. This adaptation is in a numbered edition of 1,000 in cooperation with Galerie Hagenauer in Vienna, Austria. Made in the USA.
This menorah is included in Design Edition JM, a curated selection of modern and contemporary Jewish ritual objects by extraordinary designers commissioned and collected by The Jewish Museum.
Patina, brass vermeil on pewter
7-1/8" x 8"m x 2-1/2"